Delaware

Sunday Daily Delawhere [4.19.15]

Filed in Delaware by on April 19, 2015 0 Comments

The center of the Irish neighborhood of Forty Acres in Wilmington is St. Ann’s Church. The church was built in 1887.

Continue Reading »

The Weekly Addresses

Filed in Delaware, National by on April 18, 2015 1 Comment


President Obama speaks about his commitment to combatting the threat of climate change and to keeping ourselves and future generations safe.


Governor Markell celebrates volunteerism in the First State during the annual Week of Service.

Continue Reading »

Saturday Daily Delawhere [4.18.15]

Filed in Delaware by on April 18, 2015 0 Comments

3.30.15 Carousel Park

Continue Reading »

DL Approval Ratings: KWS: The Democratic Tom Wagner.

Filed in Delaware by on April 17, 2015 2 Comments
DL Approval Ratings:  KWS: The Democratic Tom Wagner.

62% strongly disapprove of Insurance Commissoner Karen Weldin Stewart’s job performance. An additional 19% somewhat disapprove, giving us an overall disapproval score of 81%. This is no surprise. Delaware Liberal readers have never warmed to the elected official who puts the Insurance in Insurance Commissioner. That is what happens when you succeed a true consumer advocate in Matt Denn and then go on to coddle insurance companies. 14% approve of her job performance.

So finally, we have a poll on New Castle County Excecutive Tom Gordon. I have included Mr. Gordon for the first time, because I find it likely that the man may just be our next Governor. Let’s face it: Beau Biden is not going to run. So that means we will get a primary between Carney and Gordon (which will be a proxy war between Carper and Biden), and in that race, I have to put my money on Gordon. So let’s find out what our readers think of the job he is doing this time as County Executive.

Continue Reading »

Friday Daily Delawhere [4.17.15]

Filed in Delaware by on April 17, 2015 1 Comment

Harbor of Refuge Lighthouse, Delaware

Continue Reading »

College Remedial Courses And The State Test

Filed in Delaware by on April 16, 2015 15 Comments
College Remedial Courses And The State Test

Even though I know there are unique and deserving circumstances, I can’t help but wonder how kids needing remedial courses are even accepted into college, especially University of Delaware which touts itself as highly selective. Okay, I don’t really wonder. Remedial courses are a cash cow for colleges so I understand why they offer them.  Having parents/students pay for non-credit courses makes achieving a degree take longer than four years which adds another semester, or two, in tuition and room and board fees… Cha-Ching!

Continue Reading »

Thursday Daily Delawhere [4.16.15]

Filed in Delaware by on April 16, 2015 1 Comment

Harrington DE Train Station

Continue Reading »

DL Approval Ratings: Auditor Doesn’t Do His Job, and He Gets Low Ratings. Imagine that.

Filed in Delaware by on April 15, 2015 15 Comments
DL Approval Ratings: Auditor Doesn’t Do His Job, and He Gets Low Ratings.   Imagine that.

64% of Delaware Liberal readers disapprove of Auditor Tom Wagner (R). 51% strongly disapprove of him. Only 28% approve. That he continues to get reelected will be one of the unanswerable mysteries of life. Kinda like how the Charcoal Pit is considered a good place to eat.

Here is the remaining schedule:

Wednesday — Treasurer Ken Simpler (R)
Thursday — Insurance Commissioner Karen Weldin Stewart (D)
Friday — New Castle County Executive Tom Gordon (D)

Treasurer Simpler’s results should be interesting. He’s hasn’t really done much yet to approve or disapprove of, and he is not said anything overtly annoying or overly Republican yet.

Continue Reading »

Wednesday Daily Delawhere [4.15.15]

Filed in Delaware by on April 15, 2015 2 Comments

Beth.Shalom.Wilmington

Continue Reading »

Tuesday Daily Delawhere [4.14.15]

Filed in Delaware by on April 14, 2015 0 Comments

The old Christiana Inn, on Old Baltimore Pike in Christiana.

Continue Reading »

DL Approval Ratings: Coons Rides High

Filed in Delaware by on April 13, 2015 2 Comments
DL Approval Ratings: Coons Rides High

A senior elected official said to me at an event over the weekend that these Delaware Liberal polls are hurting the state of Delaware. He says staffers obsess over them, and that is distracting to the pressing state business that these staffers or employees must take of. This person said, somewhere a Social Security check is not being cut because there is a poll about John Carney.

So I apologize to the people of Delaware, but the polls must go on. To be honest, I was surprised how positive this poll was for Senator Coons, given his recent vacillation over the Iran Deal. To be clear, Senator, to side with the Republicans over the Iran Deal makes you one. You either are in the Bomb Bomb Bomb Iran caucus, or you are not. And voting for the Corker Bill means you want war, not a deal that will prevent Iran from getting a nuclear weapon.

Regardless, 59% approve of Senator Coons’ job performance, 23% strongly. 38% disapprove.

Continue Reading »

Monday Daily Delawhere [4.13.15]

Filed in Delaware by on April 13, 2015 2 Comments

Fort Delaware, on Pea Patch Island in the Delaware River, near Delaware City.

Continue Reading »

Happy Birthday Jason330.

Filed in Delaware by on April 12, 2015 8 Comments

Our illustrious founder is a half a century old now. Jason has had some iconic moments, like using his bare chested torso as a petition, encouraging all to sign his body so as to lobby for open government back in the halcyon days of Progressives in Delaware. I however cannot find a picture of that. But here is a picture of Jason celebrating in front of a disgruntled conservative’s sign downstate right after President Obama’s election in 2008.

Happy Birthday Jason. Here’s to many many more.

Continue Reading »

Sunday Daily Delawhere [4.12.15]

Filed in Delaware by on April 12, 2015 0 Comments

...

Photo by Kristopher Arnold on Flickr.

Continue Reading »

Saturday Daily Delawhere [4.11.15]

Filed in Delaware by on April 11, 2015 0 Comments
Saturday Daily Delawhere [4.11.15]

Rockwood Park by Van Luvender on Flickr.

Continue Reading »

Friday Open Thread [4.10.15]

Filed in Delaware by on April 10, 2015 13 Comments
Friday Open Thread [4.10.15]

Hillary is running. She will formally announce her presidential candidacy via social media at Noon EST Monday, while she’s en route to Iowa to begin a brisk early-states tour. Thus, no tedious announcement that she is thinking of running, and then setting up an exploratory committee, and then officially announcing. She is just announcing and then jumping right into campaigning. That is good.

Continue Reading »

Draft Biden

Filed in Delaware by on April 10, 2015 6 Comments

ridinwithbiden

This post is worth it just for the above picture. But anyway there is apparently a Draft Biden movement, I suppose apart from the Plan B movement waiting in the wings that the Vice President and Delaware Democrats already have fermenting just beneath the surface. Indeed, little birdies have told me that Delaware Democrats, whether they are official staff, in leadership positions or prominent rank-and-file have been told that when it comes to the Presidential race, they are not for Hillary, they are for Joe. At least that is what they are supposed to say publicly. But I digress.

Organizers behind the Draft Biden 2016 super-PAC have launched an online store around a “I’m ridin’ with Biden” logo depicting the vice president sporting aviator sunglasses while behind the wheel. [...] The group has 20,000 signatures toward their goal of 30,000 by the end of April for an online petition urging Biden to launch a 2016 White House bid, they said. They added that they plan to organize in early-voting Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina.

Continue Reading »

DL Approval Ratings: Negative for Carperdyne Model 3000X

Filed in Delaware by on April 10, 2015 1 Comment
DL Approval Ratings: Negative for Carperdyne Model 3000X

29% strongly disapprove. 26% somewhat disapprove. That is good enough for an overall majority (55%) disapproving of your job performance, John Carney. And the reason you’ve got that here is because you have our conservative readers voting against you because you are a Democrat. And you’ve got liberals voting against you because you are Carperdyne Model 3000X. Your programming has you continuing to try to find “common” ground with Republicans, which to them means you cave and they accept. You vote with theRepublicans against a Democratic budget and you or any elected Delaware Democratic officials dares wonder why the rank and file Democrats don’t like you.

Here’s a clue. You ran as a Democrat. You were elected as a Democrat. You better vote as a Democrat. You better act like one too. All the time. Or you won’t be around much longer.

Continue Reading »

Friday Daily Delawhere [4.10.15]

Filed in Delaware by on April 10, 2015 1 Comment
Friday Daily Delawhere [4.10.15]

Cochran Grange, on Middletown Warwick Road in Middletown. The Greek Revival house was built in 1840. It was the home of former Governor John P. Cochran, who served as the 43rd Governor of Delaware from 1875 to 1879.

Continue Reading »

DL Approval Ratings for Matt Denn: Most Popular Statewide Dem?

Filed in Delaware by on April 9, 2015 5 Comments
DL Approval Ratings for Matt Denn: Most Popular Statewide Dem?

54% of our readership strongly approves of Attorney General Matt Denn. Another 15% somewhat approve, bringing his overall approval rating to 69%, which may be the highest this time around statewide for Democrat. 19% disapprove. Last year, Beau Biden proved pretty popular, besting the then Lt. Governor. I wonder if that will change this time around. And yes, I will ask a poll question on the favorability of the former Attorney General and potential Gubernatorial candidate next week.

Continue Reading »

Hans Reigle to Run for Congress

Filed in Delaware by on April 8, 2015 0 Comments
Hans Reigle to Run for Congress

Who?

Hans Reigle, man. The former mayor of Wyoming. The town in Delaware, not the state. Hey, you guys should know who he is since I mentioned him as a Republican possibility back in the Delaware Game of Thrones series. Here is what I said:

Former Kent County GOP Chair Hans Reigle has also been mentioned as a potential candidate, but I’d imagine he’d been only viable if it were a free for all without Copeland.

Continue Reading »

When a Flip Flop is Good. And When it is Craven.

Filed in Delaware by on April 8, 2015 1 Comment
When a Flip Flop is Good.  And When it is Craven.

Celia Cohen has a piece up on the vote changes between last session’s death penalty repeal vote in the Senate and this year’s. Celia cites four changes: 1) Senator Richardson replacing Senator Venables, changing nothing since both voted no; 2) Senator Dave McBride’s switch from no to yes (which is good); 3) Senator Bob Marshall’s switch from yes to no (which is craven when you realize the reason) and 4) Senator Lavelle’s change from no to not voting (which is cowardly).

Continue Reading »

Delaware’s Wage Growth is the Lowest, so Let’s Pass a Right to Work for Less Bill

Filed in Delaware by on April 8, 2015 54 Comments
Delaware’s Wage Growth is the Lowest, so Let’s Pass a Right to Work for Less Bill

The Economist was out with an article last week that showed that while wage growth has been horrible nationwide across the country since the Great Recession, one state had fared particularly badly: Delaware.

The Republican answer: A Right to Work for Less Bill. Because when you have low wages, the only answer is to lower them further.

Continue Reading »

Wednesday Daily Delawhere [4.8.15]

Filed in Delaware by on April 8, 2015 0 Comments
Wednesday Daily Delawhere [4.8.15]

St. John the Baptist Holy Angels Catholic Church on Main Street in Newark. Photo by the Flying Inn on Flickr.

Continue Reading »

Baumbach’s Death with Dignity Bill is not even filed yet, and already there is opposition

Filed in Delaware by on April 7, 2015 12 Comments
Baumbach’s Death with Dignity Bill is not even filed yet, and already there is opposition

….from the Medical Society of Delaware. Though that is not unexpected. The proposed legislation would likely allow assisted suicide only in cases where a patient has been told by their doctor that they have a short time to live, like six months or less. The legislation would provide that only the patient is authorized to make this decision, and a family member and the doctor would be required to witness the procedure. This, along with Marijuana Legalization, are the next big socially progressive / socially libertarian reforms to be considered by society, and by extension, the General Assembly.

Continue Reading »