Delaware Dem's Latest Posts
Vice President Biden fills in for his boss this week, and he talks about the President’s plan to make two years of community college free for responsible students.
Governor Markell highlights ongoing efforts both in Delaware and across the country to provide employment opportunities for people with disabilities. This is personal for me, because through this program, my cousin, who has Asperger’s Syndrome, which is on the Autism spectrum.
Fitting for the best President for Equality since, well, ever.
Hillary is running. She will formally announce her presidential candidacy via social media at Noon EST Monday, while she’s en route to Iowa to begin a brisk early-states tour. Thus, no tedious announcement that she is thinking of running, and then setting up an exploratory committee, and then officially announcing. She is just announcing and then jumping right into campaigning. That is good.
This post is worth it just for the above picture. But anyway there is apparently a Draft Biden movement, I suppose apart from the Plan B movement waiting in the wings that the Vice President and Delaware Democrats already have fermenting just beneath the surface. Indeed, little birdies have told me that Delaware Democrats, whether they are official staff, in leadership positions or prominent rank-and-file have been told that when it comes to the Presidential race, they are not for Hillary, they are for Joe. At least that is what they are supposed to say publicly. But I digress.
Organizers behind the Draft Biden 2016 super-PAC have launched an online store around a “I’m ridin’ with Biden” logo depicting the vice president sporting aviator sunglasses while behind the wheel. [...] The group has 20,000 signatures toward their goal of 30,000 by the end of April for an online petition urging Biden to launch a 2016 White House bid, they said. They added that they plan to organize in early-voting Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina.
29% strongly disapprove. 26% somewhat disapprove. That is good enough for an overall majority (55%) disapproving of your job performance, John Carney. And the reason you’ve got that here is because you have our conservative readers voting against you because you are a Democrat. And you’ve got liberals voting against you because you are Carperdyne Model 3000X. Your programming has you continuing to try to find “common” ground with Republicans, which to them means you cave and they accept. You vote with theRepublicans against a Democratic budget and you or any elected Delaware Democratic officials dares wonder why the rank and file Democrats don’t like you.
Here’s a clue. You ran as a Democrat. You were elected as a Democrat. You better vote as a Democrat. You better act like one too. All the time. Or you won’t be around much longer.
Roger Simon: “There is a poison pill inside the Republican Party and if its presidential hopefuls keep swallowing it, they are going to choke off their chances for the White House. The religious right has managed to convince some potential candidates that it is extremely powerful. It has convinced the more gullible ones that they must grovel, kowtow and genuflect before it. This is nonsense. As I have written before, the religious right has not gotten the nominee it has wanted since Ronald Reagan. It is a paper tiger. And by taking the poison pill that the religious right offers, the potential candidates risk alienating the rest of the nation.”
But that’s not what the right wing is saying. They are telling this frightened cowards of candidates that they cannot ever hope to win without them. On Monday, Iowa’s Steve Deace was talking to the Family Leader’s Bob Vander Plaats about the necessity of opposing marriage equality. Vander Plaats, who has previously said that “You cannot run away from the heart of God and expect God to bless the country,” told Deace that Republicans are hurting their election chances by not standing firmly enough against gay rights. Vander Plaats insisted of Republicans that “They’ll never win again without this base.”
Has the base not been with the GOP in 2008 and 2012? The religious right loved Sarah Palin and they turned out for her, and she and they got destroyed in a massive landslide for Barack Obama. The religious right was with Mitt Romney because they wanted to get rid of Obama in 2012. They all believed, seriously believed, that Romney would win and they were devastated when he did not.
I always love this instantly revisionist denial that Republicans and conservatives go through when they lose. I guarantee you that when GOP Nominee Ted Cruz loses 49 states to Hillary, the religious right will say he was not conservative enough and that is why he did not win.
54% of our readership strongly approves of Attorney General Matt Denn. Another 15% somewhat approve, bringing his overall approval rating to 69%, which may be the highest this time around statewide for Democrat. 19% disapprove. Last year, Beau Biden proved pretty popular, besting the then Lt. Governor. I wonder if that will change this time around. And yes, I will ask a poll question on the favorability of the former Attorney General and potential Gubernatorial candidate next week.
Hans Reigle, man. The former mayor of Wyoming. The town in Delaware, not the state. Hey, you guys should know who he is since I mentioned him as a Republican possibility back in the Delaware Game of Thrones series. Here is what I said:
Former Kent County GOP Chair Hans Reigle has also been mentioned as a potential candidate, but I’d imagine he’d been only viable if it were a free for all without Copeland.
Sussex County’s former Clerk of the Peace, George Parrish, is running for state insurance commissioner as a Republican. The last we heard of this theocratic idiot was when he announced that he would perform civil union ceremonies even though he believed they were discriminatory towards heterosexuals somehow. Here is what he said back then:
“As I have reviewed all my legal options, administrative options and political options, I have determined that I took an oath in support of the Constitution and the rule of law should prevail,” said Parish, who lives in Long Neck. “It’s because of that and because if I were to resign, liberal Gov. Jack Markell would have the opportunity to appoint a potential liberal to succeed me and that’s unacceptable to George Parish because Sussex County voters should be the source of deciding and electing the next clerk of the peace of Sussex County.” [...]
Parish favors a constitutional amendment that would define marriage in Delaware as between a man and a woman. [...] He believes Delaware’s new law is discriminatory against heterosexuals.
So now the 74 year old former Clerk of Peace wants to be Insurance Commissioner. Hey, I want a change at that position too. I just don’t want an old bigot who likely opposes Obamacare to be that change.
Pew Research did some … well research into the political leanings of our country and guess what? We are a center left nation. Dare I say it? A liberal nation. Pew Research found that more demographic groups lean Democratic than Republican, and more Americans lean towards supporting Democrats.
We also reveal inside that Rand Paul is not a libertarian, he just plays one on TV. And we learn that “Benjamin Netanyahu” is Hebrew for “George W. Bush.”
Celia Cohen has a piece up on the vote changes between last session’s death penalty repeal vote in the Senate and this year’s. Celia cites four changes: 1) Senator Richardson replacing Senator Venables, changing nothing since both voted no; 2) Senator Dave McBride’s switch from no to yes (which is good); 3) Senator Bob Marshall’s switch from yes to no (which is craven when you realize the reason) and 4) Senator Lavelle’s change from no to not voting (which is cowardly).
The Economist was out with an article last week that showed that while wage growth has been horrible nationwide across the country since the Great Recession, one state had fared particularly badly: Delaware.
The Republican answer: A Right to Work for Less Bill. Because when you have low wages, the only answer is to lower them further.
Education is the third rail of Delaware politics. You touch it, you die.
How else do you explain the overwhelmingly negative opinion of Governor Markell’s job performance among Delaware Liberal readers. 42% strongly disapprove. Another 28% somewhat disapprove. That’s a total of 70% disapproving of your job performance, which only 29% approve. Governor Markell and his aides can take solace in the fact that this is not a scientific poll at all.
….from the Medical Society of Delaware. Though that is not unexpected. The proposed legislation would likely allow assisted suicide only in cases where a patient has been told by their doctor that they have a short time to live, like six months or less. The legislation would provide that only the patient is authorized to make this decision, and a family member and the doctor would be required to witness the procedure. This, along with Marijuana Legalization, are the next big socially progressive / socially libertarian reforms to be considered by society, and by extension, the General Assembly.
According to NPR, President Obama scoffed at Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker’s (R) suggestion that he would, on Day 1, revoke any nuclear agreement with Iran if he is elected president. Said Obama: “It would be a foolish approach to take and perhaps Mr. Walker — after he’s taken some time to bone up on foreign policy — will feel the same way.”
LOL. Talk about some shade being thrown by the President. I will love if he actively stays involved in the GOP primary. It will drive them literally insane, and benefit Hillary all the more.
We are going to assess our readership’s opinions concerning the job performance of our elected officials over the coming week. Today, we begin with Governor Jack Markell. Given the battles over Education, Priority Schools and the budget, I do not expect the Governor to earn a passing grade this time.
Tuesday — Governor Jack Markell (D)
Wednesday — Attorney General Matt Denn (D)
Thursday — Congressman John Carney (D)
Friday — Senator Chris Coons (D)
Monday — Senator Tom Carper (D)
Tuesday — Auditor Tom Wagner (R)
Wednesday — Treasurer Ken Simpler (R)
Thursday — Insurance Commissioner Karen Weldin Stewart (D)
Friday — New Castle County Executive Tom Gordon (D)
Senator Simpson has filed a bill (SB 46) that proposes a state Constitutional Amendment that would require at least one member of both the Court of Chancery and the Supreme Court be residents of and been appointed from the Bars of each of the three counties. Already we have Constitutional provisions requiring that the Supreme Court have “equal” representation between the parties, which, given that is a 5 member Court, is impossible, but it means that there will be at least 2 Republicans on the Court at all times.
Now, Senator Simpson wants 2 members of the 5 member Court to be from Kent and Sussex County. Screw whether or not any potential Justice is qualified or not, or whether the Governor wants to nominate them or not. Because, the primary consideration of all citizens has to be the feelings of downstate Republicans.
But you know what, I am in a compromising mood. I would gladly support Senator Simpson’s geographical balance Amendment if he and all Republicans agree to repeal the partisan balance provisions.
Senator Dave Lawson says that he will introduce legislation designed to keep foreign laws and lawsuits from intruding on Delaware’s court system. And the legislation will naturally have a teabag Republican name, since the threat the legislation is addressing only exists in the fever dreams of teabag Republicans watching Fox News.